Increases Serotonin Levels – Resulting in Mood Elevation, Tissue Repair, Deeper Sleep and Anti-Ageing
WHAT IS 5HTP?
5-HTP is an amino acid that is naturally occurring alongside being a chemical precursor within the human body. 5-HTP is derived from the seeds of a plant in Africa named the Griffonia simplicifolia.
BENEFITS OF 5-HTP
- Appetite Suppression
- Improves Visual Memory
- Improves Reaction Time
- Increases Recovery after Training
- Enhances Mood / Mild Euphoria
- Enables Deep Sleep and Body Clock Regulation
- Tissue Repair
- Lowered Anxiety
- Increased Productivity
- Makes you less susceptible to premature ageing
- Acts as an anti-oxidant preventing oxidative damage
EFFECTS OF 5HTP
- Increases Serotonin Levels
- 5-HTP is converted to serotonin
- Serotonin then acts upon the hypothalamus of the brain where it regulates hunger, mood, sleep, body temperature, pain sensation and sexual behaviour.
5-HTP PEPTIDE – HOW IT WORKS
Clinical research reveals people who were given 5-HTP supplements voluntarily decreased 38% of their calorie intake. Serotonin has long been known to assist with depression, and Serotonin levels are often adjusted through the use of anti-depressant medications. 5-HTP is commonly used by athletes to increase their recovery, after intense workouts. It is common knowledge by bodybuilders and athletes that its use, helps improve sleep and offers mild appetite suppression. It is a known fact that low levels of serotonin can cause depression. Thus 5htp is popular as a treatment for depression in European countries. Shown to decrease hunger slightly, 5htp may help people lose weight. Sleep loss is a major problem due to the ever-increasing rates of chronic stress experienced on a global scale. Exposure to stress may be one relating to work, or relationships, and many people deal with stress in unhealthy ways such as overeating, drinking and smoking cigarettes, taking drugs or large amounts of caffeine, and not leaving time in ones’ day to exercise or even to wind down effectively. The inability to wind down and get quality sleep means for bodybuilders a reduced ability to recover after an intense workout. The recovery is best done in deep sleep where GH spikes are the highest, thus 5Htp has been shown to help bodybuilders through its improvement to sleeping patterns.
SIDE EFFECTS OF 5HTP
Serious side effects are rare with 5-HTP. Mild side effects, may be experienced: Stomach upset – when taken at a dosage much higher than recommended. Before opting for treatment with 5-HTP be sure that you have consulted your doctor, particularly if you are taking certain anti-depressants. There may be a potential for interactions to occur which have been found to occur in rat subjects tested. It is noted however that the use in humans is very safe and there have been minimal reports of adverse reactions.
5-HTP CLINICAL STUDIES AND RESEARCH
- 5-HTP efficacy and contraindications
Hinz M, Stein A, Uncini T.. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. 2012;8:323-328. doi:10.2147/NDT.S33259.
- The Effects of 5-Hydroxytryptophan in Combination with Different Fatty Acids on Gastrointestinal Functions: A Pilot Experiment Sauer H, Mack I, Kohler S, et al.. Gastroenterology Research and Practice. 2014;2014:424503. doi:10.1155/2014/424503.
- 5-Hydroxytryptophan: a review of its antidepressant efficacy and adverse effects.Byerley WF, Judd LL, Reimherr FW, Grosser BI.. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1987;7(3):127-137.
- Eating behavior and adherence to dietary prescriptions in obese adult subjects treated with 5-hydroxytryptophan Cangiano C, Ceci F, Cascino A, et al. J Clin Nutr. 1992;56(5):863-867.
- Double-blind study of 5-hydroxytryptophan versus placebo in the treatment of primary fibromyalgia syndrome. Caruso I, Sarzi Puttini P, Cazzola M, Azzolini V. J Int Med Res. 1990;18(3):201-209.
- Dietary supplements used in the treatment of depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders.Cauffield JS, Forbes HJ. Lippincotts Prim Care Pract. 1999;3(3):290-304.
- The potential of 5-hydroxytryptophan for hot flash reduction: a hypothesis Curcio JJ, Kim LS, Wollner D, Pockaj BA.. Altern Med Rev. 2005;10(3):216-221.
- Serotonin precursors in chronic primary headache. A double-blind cross-over study with L-5-hydroxytryptophan vs. placebo DeBenedittis G, Massei R. J Neurosurg Sci. 1985;29(3):239-248.